Friday, July 3, 2009

The Other "F" Word

There is one word in the english vocabulary that I adtually hate more than "maybe." Which is saying a lot because I despise that word. This word is "fine." I'm fine, it's fine, we're fine or just plain old "fine!" The word is defined as: all right: being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition. I mean, it's an ok word if you really mean that whatever it is, is actually "fine." But I feel like people use it with a whole other meaning behind it. Some examples of instances where I think that this word is unacceptable:

When I am discussing plans with a friends and I say "let's go here, you want to?" and they respond "Ok, that's fine" To me, that pretty much means..."I don't really want to go there but if you do than ok I will." I rather someone say THAT to me. Be honest people.

When I ask someone how I look in something "that looks fine." I am obviously not wearing that or buying that since it only looks fine, thanks. How about you tell me I look like a cow, I appreciate the honesty.

The kicker for me....when I have  a conversation that may get heated and once it's resolved the other person says "It's fine" or "we're fine." No no no, it's not fine. If you are using that word there is still an issue.

I just think that people are substituting the word "fine" for their true feelings just to be polite. I think we need more honesty in this world instead of words that just cause misconceptions of how people feel. 

So the next time you want to use this word in response to someone, think about what you REALLY want to say, and say it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment